Featured Crafter – Wattson Rat & The Social Animals
Posted by CraftySG on Feb 11 2017, in Featured Seller
1.Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
My name is Lynn, and my shop features Wattson the Rat and the Social Animals. I’m a full-time salaried employee but works on Wattson and other smaller crafts in my free time.
2. How did you come up with your brand name?
I’ve been doodling for as long as I can remember, but Wattson Rat came about slightly before I turned 30. Being a rat (zodiac-wise, not character-wise), Wattson was me reflecting on my almost three decades of living and sharing some life lessons I had picked up thus far. This personal project eventually became “30 things I learned before I turn 30” – a collection of drawings later compiled into a printed book.
I crowdsourced his name via Twitter for a “very English and gentlemanly sounding name suitable for a pet rat.”
3. What got you into crafting?
The first Wattson toy was crafted out of socks from Daiso and other material sourced from various craft shops. I’ve always had a fondness for Sock Monkeys and at one time was a huge fan of No3No4 sock dolls. So it seemed like a natural indulgence to bring my character, Wattson, to life with his rendition of a sock doll.
4. What do you make and why do you make them?
There are two versions of Wattson Rat Rock Sock Toy right now – one is the original sock version and another that contains catnip. This recent edition was designed especially for Cat Welfare Singapore, and part of sales proceeds go to the group’s efforts to save and protect our local kitties.
5. Do you have a favorite item that you have created? Is it sold or still available for purchase?
Besides the book? The sock toy of course! I hope to eventually create one for each of Watton’s Social Animals crew, but that will take some time and properly planning.
6. Are you a full time artist or crafter? If not, would you like to be one?
I am unfortunately not a full time artist or crafter. That is an eventual goal and something that definitely motivates me to get out of bed each day.
7. Do you have any favorite blogs or resources that you can share to our readers?
I instagram stalk several popular artists including: @kirakiradoodles @gemmacorrell @poorlydrawnlines @no3no4sockdoll @iainwhocantsleep to name a few.
8. Do you have any discount codes or promotions that you can offer our readers?
Not at the moment, but I’m hoping to bring back the CWS collaboration this year with more stocks for them. Please stay tuned.
9. Please provide me all the links to your social media accounts and shops.